Tuesday, December 9, 2014

My Journey into Social Marketing


     Upon Taking a position as a marketing intern for ALC, a direct marketing firm, I have graciously been given the opportunity to establish and execute a successful social content strategy. Although social media provides you with limitless options, directions, audiences, and competition, it has proven to be one of the most interesting learning processes of my life. Not only am I figuring out how to interact with brevity and quickness, but I am fine-tuning the relevance of my words as well.
     I must admit, it is not an easy feat to gain the attention of hundreds, let alone thousands or millions of social media users. That is why I thought it would be interesting to re-dive into this blog I created in college-- which I had since forgotten about, until a Google search directed me to reunite with my old writing. After a few hours of procrastinating and reading papers from college, a dazzling idea flew into my head. Why not continue? Why not embrace this blog-finding as a chance to re-develop my writing skills and track my personal journey into the world of content marketing? And so here I am.
     I feel it is only appropriate to catch you up on the steps I have taken so far - this involves the deletion of former personal accounts, as well as the creation of a professional Twitter, and a vamped up Linkedin profile. Although I miss my old Twitter (only slightly), let's be honest - We don't post the most relevant, necessary, or informative things when we are in college. That is a period of time when social media is exactly that- social.
     Flash forward two years, as I am getting down and dirty with B2b content marketing strategies, it began to overwhelm me that I even had private accounts. Regardless of the privacy policies, the internet is public, and there is always a way to find that information you have hiding. I didn't want to make private accounts. I wanted public accounts. I wanted to be insightful, I wanted to meet people, and I wanted to provide a valid contribution to the social media world. I also used these new accounts as a means to test out my newly learned social marketing strategies. (I target an audience of social marketers, I form thoughtful and informative posts, and I make sure to engage with at least a few people on a regular basis.) What happens when they do not respond? I reach out to one of the millions of other social marketers. As with any new business endeavor, you're going to get the cold shoulder a lot more in the beginning as opposed to when you have thousands of followers years later and everyone is begging for a Retweet. In other words, I don't believe you can fail with social media - you may just need to adapt your strategy differently until you notice a successful trend.
     With my personal account thriving in the first few days, I was excited. I thought to myself, "at this rate I will have a thousand followers by the end of December!" This was not the case, and my following growth came to a rather unfortunate halt at 93 followers. However, my chin remains up, and I continue to reach out to people, follow accounts, and tweet regularly. Every once in a while I get that response that makes everything feel worth it. I decided to take this knowledge and freshly born feeling of social media confidence and security to the next level. With the permission of my manager, I launched the first social media page for the company at which I work: a product page on Twitter for Wealth Window, one of our luxury marketing services. Needless to say, it has a decent amount of competition that has already established a decent presence on social media, and I was nervous.
     Although it is off to a slow start, with only 40 followers and several less retweets and favorited tweets than my own account, I have high hopes. I am working to employ new strategies on a daily basis, which I will explain more deeply in my next post. I plan to use this blog to track my progress, and let it serve as a sort of "Social Media Diary" from here on out. One day I will look back on it and think, "Damn, only forty followers for the first week, and look at how far I have come."

Stay tuned! And feel free to comment any insight you have to offer regarding social media marketing or content strategy, specifically for the B2B market!

    

1 comment:

  1. Social Media Marketing often feeds into the discovery of new content such as news stories, and “discovery” is a search activity. Social media can also help build links that in turn support into SEO efforts. Many people also perform searches at social media sites to find social media content. Social connections may also impact the relevancy of some search results, either within a social media network or at a ‘mainstream’ search engine.

    ReplyDelete