Monday, December 22, 2014

Oh, the perils of social media engagement!




Profile page: Check.
Initial follower base growth: Check.
Relevant Content: Check.
Interaction: …. Hello, Is anybody out there? Can you hear me?


Once the page is up and running, how do we remain consistent with engagement? I notice myself getting tangled up in the stress of curating content, seeking out followers and writing memorable posts – So much so, that I forget to develop relationships with the few that are paying attention so far. I am working on developing a routine to stay engaged with my followers and those who I am following, but so far it has been easier said than done.
I started first, as you should with any plan, by establishing goals and metrics. I thought to myself, “Okay, I will follow a certain amount of new people every day,  I will favorite 1-2 tweets, I will respond to 5 tweets, etc.” This seemed like a simple way to maintain my social media relationships, but really what it all boils down to is commitment. Can I truly commit to this every day? Well, I don’t exactly have a choice, and I knew I needed to step my game up. So I changed my goals.
Instead of measuring how many people I responded to, I decided to set goals for the number of people I wanted to respond to me. It doesn’t matter how many people I answer, although the more, the better. I was way more concerned with the level of responses I receive. From there, I decided to pinpoint my strengths and weaknesses.
My response rate is much higher via DM’s than it is with public tweets. I realized this was because I have a tendency to address people via DM’s more so than publicly. This needs to change. From today forward I will make it a point to address people through tweets in order to extend my content reach. The more people who see me interacting, the better my chances are of engaging with them as well. In case you haven’t noticed, I keep going back to that notion: More is BETTER. You can always do more with social media, and unless you are blatantly spamming people, it will never be considered too much.
From here on out, for every ten tweets I send out, I aim for at least a 50% response rate.  Continuous conversations are more beneficial to me than just a One and Done message and reply, so I want to make sure I have something valuable to say, that is worth a discussion. I want to be thought of, instead of getting lost in the tornado of tweets spiraling down my newsfeed. I want someone to stop scrolling when they notice I post a new blog. I want them to reply when I ask a question. And when I tweet “Let’s Chat!” I am hoping that someone, once in a while, latches on for a quick conversation – and even more than that, I hope we keep in touch.
What are your tactics for establishing and maintaining social media relationships? If you have any tips, leave them in the comments below. So, can anyone out there hear me? Because I am here, and I would love to talk marketing with you.

P.S. Happy Holidays, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment